By focusing on the personalities or philosophy behind Wikileaks, in addition to the Imperial and Corporate reactions to its successes thus far, it is easy to lose focus on the actual substance of the leaks themselves. So here is an incomplete list of significant revelations emerging from Wikileaks in 2010, summarized from a list of headlines compiled by G. Greewald:
- Video of U.S forces gleefully slaughtering good Samaritans and journalists in Iraq
- Logs that reveal secret orders that let U.S. ignore (outsource?) abuse (torture).
- 15,000 previously unrevealed civilian deaths in Iraq.
- That Iraq War cheerleader Secretary of State H. Clinton ordered American diplomats to spy on U.N. officails.
- That Obama and Republicans conspired to kill Spain’s probe into the Bush Administrations torture regime (and that B. Obama is a liar).
- That the U.S. pressured Germany not to prosecute CIA officers for torture and rendition, and that Germany caved to this pressure.
- That “top American leaders lied, knowingly to the American public, to American troops, and to the world.”
- That the Obama administration and the president of Yemen conspired to hide U.S. authorship of military strikes in Yemen, just as it was also supplying arms to Saudi Arabia for use in Northern Yemen.
- That India tortured Kashmir prisoners.
- That the U.K. trained a death squad in Bangladesh.
- That the U.K. agreed to shield U.S. interests in an Iraq probe.
- That the Pope refused to cooperate in a sex abuse investigation.
- That the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa recognized the ouster of Honduran President Manuel Zalaya as an illegal coup four days before the coup occurred, though the Obama administration thereafter quickly normalized relations with the coup government.
- That China was behind a hack of Google’s network.
- That U.S. Special Forces have indeed been secretly operating in Pakistan.
- And, through the Afghan War Logs, that (surprise!) the occupation of Afghanistan is a fucking catastrophe.
UPDATE: Here is another round-up of what Wikileaks revelations, compiled by CBS news.